circle background

Monday, February 3, 2014

How to save money on cans of beans

I recently spent a week at my niece's house and she showed me this neat idea for beans. She probably found it on Pinterest but I didn't research it because it was SO easy.

How would you like 16 cans of beans for roughly $5.50? That's only $0.34 a can. I turned 5 pounds of beans in to 16 bags to freeze and pull out when needed.  That is a savings of roughly $0.40 a can depending on where you live and what brand you usually buy.  At my Super Target the beans were $0.74 a can and $0.70 by using the cartwheel app last week...that's still a savings of over 50% and every little bit helps.


If you look at a can of beans, it says 1 serving is 1/2 cup and there are 3.5 servings per container...that means 1.75 cups per can. I put 2 cups of cooked beans in each bag so you could probably get more if you only put 1.75 cups per bag.


I got six bags of pinto beans (from a 2lb bag of dried beans), seven bags of white beans (2lb bag) and three bags of chick peas (1lb bag).



Here's what I did:
1. Soak the beans overnight according to package directions.
2. Drain beans and put in large pot with some kosher salt, pepper and a sprinkle of garlic powder.
3. Cover the beans with hot water, bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1.5 hours.
4. Put in to freezer bags, I used a 1 cup measuring cup and drained the liquid when scooping out of the pot.
5. Let the beans cool then seal the bags and place in the freezer.
6. Pull them out of the freezer when ready and use them as you would a can of beans.

It doesn't get much easier than that.  An added bonus is that you can pronounce everything in the bag!

If you have any other time saving and money saving tips...please share your knowledge with the rest of us by commenting below :)





1 comment: